Queensland’s thoroughbred racing elite honoured
The State’s racing’s elite celebrated the 2018/19 racing season at the TAB Queensland Thoroughbred Awards last night.
The Ipswich Turf Club was thrilled to sponsor the event that honours the state’s industry participants and acknowledges the great achievements of the past year.
Some highlights with an Ipswich twist include Horse Hall of Fame Inductee Bore Head. Regarded as one of the best stayers of his time Bore Head won the Ipswich Cup in 1964 famously sharing the glory in a dead heat with Isaacson. He is one of the only stayers to win all five Cups – Ipswich, Doomben, Queensland, Caulfield and Australian.
Ipswich Cup winner Noel Best was honoured as the Jockey Hall of Fame Inductee. Noel won the Cup in 1949 when riding Forge to a nine length win at just 16-years-old.
The big awards for the night were presented to some well-known faces who regularly frequent the track including this year’s Ipswich premiership holders trainer Tony Gollan, recently retired jockey Jeff Lloyd and apprentice Baylee Nothdurft all collecting the metropolitan title.
Gollan went on to win the Queensland Trainer of the Year and Nothdurft the Queensland Apprentice of the Year.
The Club sponsored the Provincial Jockey of the Year Award which was once again won by Justin Stanley, a title he was also awarded in 2017/18.
Chairman Wayne Patch awarded the well-deserved accolade to Justin who has racked up over 900 career winners with 63 of those wins at Ipswich.
2019 TAB Queensland Thoroughbred Award Winners
- TAB Queensland Thoroughbred Horse of the Year – Winning Ways (Garry Newham)
- Magic Millions Queensland Trainer of the Year – Tony Gollan
- Garrard’s Horse and Hound Queensland Jockey of the Year – Michael Cahill
- Sky Racing Ken Russell Queensland Apprentice of the Year – Baylee Nothdurft
- HQ Insurance Metropolitan Trainers’ Premiership – Tony Gollan
- Magic Millions Insurance Brokers Metropolitan Jockeys’ Premiership – Jeff Lloyd
- Screen Offset Printing Metropolitan Apprentice of the Year – Baylee Nothdurft
- QTIS Provincial Apprentice of the Year – Adin Thompson
- Queensland Jockeys’ Association Country Apprentice of the Year – Emma Bell
- MEGT Student of the Year – Hannah Phillips
- QRIC Stewards Award – Michael Cahill
- QTIS Horse of the Year – sponsored by Spirit of Boom – Hold The Line (David Vandyke)
- Zero Seven Queensland 2YO Horse of the Year – The Odyssey (Kelly Schweida)
- QROA Queensland 3YO Horse of the Year – Winning Ways (Garry Newham)
- Access Insulation Queensland 4YO and Older Horse of the Year – Tyzone (Toby Edmonds)
- KBL Thoroughbreds Provincial Horse of the Year – Mr Attitude (Ricky Vale)
- Ardex Essentials Provincial Trainer of the Year – Stuart Kendrick
- Ipswich Turf Club Provincial Premiership Jockey – Justin Stanley
- RaceQ Country Premiership Horse of the Year – Fab’s Cowboy (Bevan Johnson)
- Ladies in Racing Magazine Country Premiership Trainer – Bevan Johnson
- Munce Racing Country Premiership Jockey – Dan Ballard
- TBQA Queensland Stallion of the Year – Spirit of Boom
- TBQA Champion First Season Stallion – Better Than Ready
- TBQA Champion 2YO Stallion – Better Than Ready
- TBQA Broodmare of the Year – She’s Meaner
- Hall of Fame (Horse) Sponsored by Commotion Creative – Bore Head
- Hall of Fame (Jockey) Sponsored by Medical Rescue – Noel Best
- Hall of Fame (Trainer) Sponsored by Brisbane Racing Club – John Size
- Hall of Fame (Associate) Sponsored by Tattersall’s Racing Club – Sir Albert Sakzewski
- Hall of Fame (Associate) Sponsored by Pullman Brisbane Airport Hotel – Pat O’Shea